Some timepieces are outstanding for their design, others for their movement, some for the material in which they are build, and others…. it is a full concept without boundaries to creativity. This is the case of C3H5N3O9. Watch out!
C3H5N3O9 is both the molecular formula for nitroglycerine and a horological experiment. It started in 2008 when Felix Baumgartner and Maximilian Büsser shared the same original idea of this outstanding brand. Mr Baumgarter is also the co-founder of Urwerk with Martin Frei. Both, they had the idea of a concept featuring a movement inspired by a Wankel engine. The principal of Wankel engine was that the main 4 stages (intake, compression, combustion and exhaust) took place in one rotation.
The mouvement is inspired by this construction as it has an epicyloid.
Experiment ZR012 is a limited edition of 12 pieces in natural Zirconium. There is also a Black version of 12 units produced, in black PVD treated Zirconium. The technical specs:
- 71mm Long x 47mm wide x 25mm high (with lugs)
- Zirconium case and lugs
- Case components: 60
- Articulated rear lug and compound front lug
- Sapphire crystal with anti-reflective treatment both side
- 3atm / 30m water resistant
- Strap and buckle: Brown calf leather strap. Titanium and white gold (palladium 150 alloy) folding buckle.
- Movement dimensions: 41.35mm long x 32.65mm wide x 11.55mm high
- 328 components and 42 jewels
- Manual winding with a power reserve of 39h
- Balance frequency: 28’800
- The finishing: satin finishing, sandblasted, circular graining on movement, black PVD treated components, black ruthenium treated components
- Number of plots to create epitrochoids for hours and minutes: 180
- Tolerance between hour and minute indication rotors and inside of epitrochoids: 0.20mm
Each timepiece will be sold at the recommended retail price of CHF 130’ooo. The Black Zirconium is only available through The Hour Glass in Singapore.
Check more about this amazing adventure on the official website:
Info sourced at the brand website and official communication release. All content is copyrighted with no reproduction rights available.