A new engine for an automobile brand is like giving birth to a new child. It represents a long time effort, know-how, talent, and research. Therefore it does not happen every day, week, or year. This year Maserati is revealing a new engine called Nettuno and it definitely represents a new chapter to the Italian company. Fasten your seat belt, this is a monster-engine alert.
The new engine is the beating heart of the MC20 super sportscar that will make its world premiere in September. The unit was designed at Maserati’s Modena facilities: the Maserati Innovation Lab on Via Emilia Ovest, the workshops on Via Delle Nazioni (Maserati Corse’s historic base), and developed at the Engine Hub, situated at the famous Viale Ciro Menotti address where it will be built. Currently, the new production line and new paint shop are being modified to host the much-anticipated MC20.
The new engine is a back to the origins of the brand and its know-how. It is 100% made in Modena which is the historical location since 1939 of the brand and the current technical facilities.
The new engine is the result of a technical revolution, one protected by international patents. The project was born from the passion and commitment of a team of highly-qualified technicians and engineers. After twenty years, Maserati has once again enthusiastically taken on the challenge of returning to its Modena HQ with the development and production of a new, highly-technological, high-performance engine. And trust me, it is a street beast.
The new “Made in Modena” engine, a traditional 90° V6, has been taken to unheard-of power and torque levels and will be used for the first time on the MC20 super sportscar. The MC20 will take Maserati back to the world of racing for sure.
The new engine is an ambitious design, which represents a historic moment for the company, a new era that will officially start on September 9 and 10 in Modena during the big event “MMXX: The Time to be audacious”. At this launch, new models that will go into production in the coming years will be unveiled, and innovative propulsion systems, as well as ambitious programs developed by the Casa del Tridente, will be announced. To put it simply, the engine can be analyzed through 3 different facets:
- The pre-chamber: a combustion chamber is set between the central electrode and the traditional combustion chamber and connected by a series of specially-designed holes.
- Lateral sparkplug: a traditional sparkplug acts as a support to ensure constant combustion when the engine is operating at a level that doesn’t need the pre-chamber to kick in.
- Twin injection system – direct and indirect: linked to the fuel supply pressure at 350bar, the system reduces noise low down on the rev range, lowering emissions and improving consumption.
Here are the full specs:
- Manufacturer: Maserati Modena
- Engine Architecture: V6 90°
- Total Displacement: 3.0L
- Bore / Stroke: 88 x 82 mm
- Compression ration: 11:1
- Firing order: 1-6-3-4-2-5
- Maximum power: 630CV @ 7500 rpm
- Maximum torque: 730 Nm @ 3000 – 5500 rpm
- Engine maximum revs: 8000 rpm
- Turbochargers: Twin Side Turbo with electronic actuated Waste Gate
- Ignition system: Twin Spark with passive prechamber
- Lubrification pump: Fully variable oil pump
- Lubrification system: Dry sump with scavenging pumps & external oil tank
- Fuel system: PDI (Direct Injection 350bar + Port Injection 6bar)
- Valvetrain and timing: Double Over Head Camshaft with variable valve timing
- Engine W x H x L: 1000mm x 650mm x 600mm
- Engine mass: <220 kg
- Emission level: EU6D/China 6B/Ulev 70
Despite the complex year for everybody, Maserati is writing history in 2020. With this new engine and the launch of the new Maserati MC20, the Modena automotive brand is shaping its future with a long term vision.
With the new Maserati MC20, the brand reconnects with its racing heritage and allow future customers to understand the past to better embrace the future. The MC20 model will be the first to receive the new powerplant, but Maserati has hinted that the engine will subsequently become available in other models as well. We expect to see the brand return to the world of racing thanks to the MC20.
Information sourced by the author for luxuryactivist.com. All content is copyrighted with no reproduction rights available. Images are for illustration purposes only.