Gone are the days when leggings were only worn with sports or workout outfits. Thanks to their versatility, flexibility, and comfort, these stretchy pants are now a must-have fashion item in any woman’s wardrobe. Leggings are so popular that denim jeans have taken a back seat. Did you know that the demand for leggings is steadily growing in the United States while denim sales continue to decline? People are after comfort and functionality more than anything—and leggings satisfy this need.
If you are an avid fan of these ultra-comfy stretchy pants, you probably own several pairs of full-length leggings in classic black. After all, they are the most versatile type and can effortlessly complement any outfit, from casual shirts and tops to dresses and skirts. Although there is nothing wrong with sticking to the basics, you might be missing out if you do not explore other legging options. Who knows? Perhaps you will discover a new favorite if you try multiple styles.
In case you are unaware of the different types of leggings, read on. This article will give you an overview of stylish leggings that you may want to try at least once. We have also included a few helpful tips on how you can wear these stretchy pants and how to care for them so that they will last longer.
Different Legging Styles Worth Trying Out
Believe it or not, there are tons of legging styles to suit your every need, preference, and activity. From denim and leather to floral and flared, here are several exciting and versatile designs that you may want to try out and include in your leggings collection:
If you often wish for your skinny jeans to feel as comfortable as your leggings, you better shop for denim leggings to get what you always wanted. Denim leggings or jeggings look practically identical to ordinary jeans, but they are stretchier and more comfortable. And since they are made of denim and spandex blend, they are much thicker than most leggings and can be styled and worn as you would typical skinny jeans. For the most flattering look, you may want to opt for denim leggings with a dark wash to create an attractive silhouette.
Before you dismiss the idea of wearing leather leggings because they seem too edgy, why don’t you try them out first? Chances are, they will become your go-to pants if you want to look ultra-stylish and comfortable at the same time. Leather leggings are versatile and can easily elevate your fashion game. Pair them with a long button-down shirt and ballet flats for a casual look. You can also wear them with your favorite office top and stilettos for a comfy work ensemble. The key is to style them as you would a pair of ordinary slim black pants.
If you only have leggings in black and other neutral hues, you may want to bring a splash of color to your collection. From royal blue and green to purple and fuchsia pink, colorful leggings can brighten up your day and give you a much-needed energy boost. You can mix and match them with different tops or wear them underneath your favorite dresses and skirts. Try wearing a pair in your favorite color, for starters. Pair them with a sweater and white sneakers, and you are ready to run errands or hang out with friends.
Flower Print Leggings
Besides colorful leggings, you should also purchase a couple of pairs of floral leggings as they are comfortable and functional. You can wear them to the gym for that feminine, sophisticated vibe. They are also perfect for traveling and informal events. Just match them with a long chambray top and grey white pumps, let your hair loose, and you are all set.
Ankle Split Leggings
Ankle split leggings are unlike ordinary leggings as they have short slits along the side or front center seam of the pants. They are a must-have, especially if you are looking for leggings that you can wear for various occasions. Pair them with an oversized blazer, belt, high-heeled shoes, and chunky necklace, and you are ready for the office. For casual get-togethers in the evening, change into a linen blouse and chunky boots.
Another type of legging-trouser hybrid that you should try wearing is a pair of flared leggings. Besides providing utmost comfort, these stretchy pants make your legs look longer and offer an ideal outfit foundation. You can readily dress them up or down depending on the top and shoes you wear. For instance, you can wear them for date night by pairing them with a flowy off-the-shoulder top and wedge sandals or with a blazer over a crop top and a pair of high-heeled platform boots.
Style Tips and Tricks on How to Wear Leggings
Leggings can be worn to different occasions and places. They can also make you look stylish if you know how to wear them correctly. Remember that, as with other wardrobe staples, wearing leggings without care can result in a fashion disaster. Make sure that your legging game is always on point by considering the tips below:
- Find the right fit. Wearing a pair of leggings that are too loose or too tight can be unflattering. Make sure that you only purchase leggings that are just tight enough to cover your lower body comfortably.
- Match prints with solid colors. Pair your solid color leggings with printed or patterned tops to elevate your outfit. However, do the opposite if you are wearing floral or printed bottoms.
- Consider ankle-length or footed leggings. If you want to create a slimmer and longer silhouette, opt for ankle-length or footed leggings and pair them with high heels. Shorter leggings that end at your knee or calf can make you look shorter, so you may want to use them exclusively for working out or during hot days.
- Wear the right shoes. Leggings look good with ballet flats, sandals, sneakers, and boots. Just make sure that the style and color of the footwear go well with the rest of your outfit. If you want to wear high-heeled shoes or pumps, be sure that they match your top so that you will appear put together.
- Put them on for leg coverage. If you love wearing short skirts but are conscious about showing too much skin, you can pair them with leggings to cover your legs. These stretchy pants look good under mini dresses, short skirts, or even a pair of cut-off denim shorts.
How to Care for Your Leggings
Be sure that your versatile leggings maintain their stretchiness, color, and fit by caring for them the right way. To help you out, here are several pointers you may want to consider to keep your leggings in good condition for many years:
- Avoid over washing. Unless you sweat profusely while wearing your leggings, wash them after three or four uses to keep the integrity of the fabric. However, remember to hang and air them out as soon as you take them off to avoid odor build-up.
- Be gentle. Prevent the material from snagging by putting your leggings inside a mesh laundry bag before throwing them in the washing machine. Always use a gentle cycle and mild detergent to protect their elasticity and color.
- Wash them inside out. Do not forget to turn your leggings inside out before washing them to maintain their vivid color for longer.
- Skip the dryer. The heat from the dryer can weaken the fabric fibers of your leggings. That is why you should skip the dryer and air-dry these stretchy pants on a flat surface instead.
Comfortable, fashionable, and wearable for many different settings, leggings are a must-have garment in any woman’s closet. There are also many different styles and designs to explore. Keep in mind that every legging type has something unique to offer in terms of elevating your fashion game. Just make sure to consider the styling tips above so that you always look fabulous wearing them. Also, be sure to care for them properly to preserve their quality for longer.
Information sourced by the author for luxuryactivist.com. All content is copyrighted with no reproduction rights available. Images are for illustration purposes only. Featured Photo by Hussein Altameemi from Pexels