It is official, Margot Robbie becomes a new egerie for CHANEL. Karl Lagerfeld has chosen Academy Award nominated actress Margot Robbie, an ambassador of the House, to become the face of the campaign for CHANEL’s first Coco Neige collection, designed by the couturier for winter 2018/19.
What Is CHANEL’s Coco Neige?
It is written in the DNA of the luxury French house that innovation and creativity will always be a strong source of inspiration. Gabrielle Chanel has set the foundations of the brand and provides an endless source of guidance to Karl Lagerfeld, the in-house Creative Director. Coco Neige is a specific line dedicated to winter sports, the snow and “après-ski”. The challenge of this collection was to combine technical materials with elegance and style. Each piece explores the ski world with all the CHANEL codes. Material combinations are very interesting as well. There is a true couture work and some pieces will probably become new icons. Satin, wool, fringed tweed, velvet, denim and leather are paired with waterproof and windproof materials, with heat-sealed seams and reinforced protection to take full advantage of the slopes and the après-ski terraces.
“This shoot was one of the greatest experiences of my career. The energy and vibe on set was so wonderful and collaborative. One of the first things Karl Lagerfeld said to me was that we never need to take ourselves too seriously. He has such a creative mind and he knows exactly what he wants and the minute he captured it, we were moving onto the next shot.” – Margot Robbie
Of course the advertising campaign was shot by Karl Lagerfeld himself. The idea was to translate the joyous and invigorating spirit of the collection. There is a very nice contrast between the dynamic and urban look of Margot Robbie with the peaceful sky behind. With her hair in childlike bunches blowing in the breeze, Margot Robbie is more mischievous and cheerful than ever. Margot Robbie first became known to the public with her role in The Wolf of Wall Street by Martin Scorsese in 2013. She then went on to star in Focus, Suicide Squad and Tarzan. She was recently nominated for an Academy Award, Bafta and Golden Globe for her critically acclaimed performance in I, Tonya, a film she produced as well. She perfectly represents a certain idea of modern and young woman.
Why a winter collection like Coco Neige at CHANEL?
It might sound surprising for some of you but developing a winter collection within the CHANEL portfolio is very logical. Gabrielle Chanel had a profound love of the open air. She enjoyed long outdoor walks. She used to come often to Switzerland and enjoy the simple joys of being “out there”. This is why sportswear was always very important in the CHANEL collections. A few years ago, the House even launched its own skis and snowboards. So today Karl Lagerfeld wanted to go a step further and create an entire line devoted to winter sports, designed for the slopes and the “après-ski”. Here are some elements composing the new collection:
- The camellia, the braid, the collar and pocket of the suit jacket all appear in a refined sobriety.
- Slim-fit Sewaters
- Gilets with mountain motifs
- Ribbed knit balaclavas
- Crests and medals in the shape of snowflakes
- Suede mittens
- Denim caps
- Nylon ushankas
- Wool berets
- Two-tone booties in shearling
- Mountain shoes with hooks and laces in tweed or in nylon
- Boots with long-haired fur
- Backpacks and shoppers in quilted nylon and shearling
- The 11.12 bag in suede braided with wool rub shoulders
Our top Five looks from CHANEL’s Coco Neige collection
After looking at the official look-book, here are our top five best looks for next winter. It is all about comfort, technicality, elegance and allure.
#1- Mountain Wool Sweater
- White, fuchsia and green wool sweater
- Ecru trousers in denim embellished with buttons
- Cuff bracelets in gold metal and pink leather
- Bag in beige suede and ecru wool
- Black acetate shield
- Cap in ecru wool
- Booties in ecru wool and black leather
#2- The Black & Ecru Tweed
- Jacket in black canvas and black and ecru tweed
- Black sweater in cashmere and silk
- Dress in black and ecru tweed
- Black beret in wool and cotton
- Coat of arms brooch in gold metal, resin and strass
- Black bag in nylon and tweed
- Booties in black wool and beige leather
#3 – Multi-Colored gilet & Denim
- Multicolour wool gilet
- Light blue trousers in faded denim
- Cuff in gold metal and black leather
- Dark blue bag in quilted denim embellished with braid
- Blue denim ushanka
- Boots in brown fur and black leather
#4- Booties in Beige Wool
- Parka in black polyester canvas and ecru wool
- Black leather jacket
- Black wool sweater
- Black leather shorts with camellia pockets
- Backpack in black leather and nylon and ecru wool
- Ushanka in black polyester and ecru wool
- Booties in beige wool and black leather
- Sleeveless jacket in black canvas and black and ecru tweed
- Black sweater in wool and cotton embroidered with faux pearls
- Black canvas trousers
- Brooch in gold metal, resin and faux pearls
- Black ushanka in fantasy tweed and polyamide
- Black backpack in embossed nylon and tweed
- Booties in black wool and beige leather
As we can see, the new CHANEL COCO NEIGE is an amazing collection, built in the true spirit of the Luxury French house. Karl Lagerfeld has incredibly succeeded to build maybe a new strong pillar for CHANEL. The new winter collection will be available in stores from July 2018 in all official Chanel point of sales. Winter has never been so stylish.
Info sourced at the official communication release by CHANEL, official look-book and press release. All content is copyrighted with no reproduction rights available. Images are for illustration purposes only.